Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Best "Chicken" salad ever

I've been a vegetarian now for about 4 years and there is rarely a day I feel I am missing out an anything.  But every once in a while I will miss and old favorite dish containing meat or chicken.  It's at those times my creative drive kicks into high gear and I set out to come up with a delicious alternative.  This most recent recipe is a result of one such craving.
It uses seitan (pronounced SAY tan) which is a mock meat that has been used in Asian cooking for centuries.  It's made out of vital wheat gluten and water.  It is extremely high in protein packing 21 grams in a meager 1/3 cup serving.  All this for 120 calories.  It has the chewy consistency of meat and can be used in a huge variety of dishes.  In this recipe it will be used in place of chicken.

I've always been a huge fan of chicken Waldorf salad so this is my variation.  Hope you like it!

Suggested Ingredents (experiment and change it up. Let me know what you find to be tasty)

1 8oz package of seitan
1 cup halved seedless grapes
2-3 T chopped celery
1-2 T finely chopped green onion (white and green parts)
1-2 T finely chopped parsley (could also try mint for a different twist)
1/2 C chopped apple (optional)
1/2-1 C chopped nuts (I like walnut or pecan best)  Toasted nuts are awesome here!
1/4-1/2 C mayo (this will depend on personal taste.  I tend to go very skimpy)

1.  Drain the seitan then chop into little bite sized pieces.
2.  Heat 1T oil in skillet over medium heat and sautee seitan with salt and pepper until somewhat golden and crispy.
3. Transfer to a bowl and mix well with remaining ingredents. 

You can serve this sandwich style, over a bed of greens or eat it right out of the bowl.  It's awesome no matter how you serve it.

Please let me know what you think. I always love your comments.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment