Saturday, March 24, 2012

What's in your pantry?

Want to be healthier? Feel better? Perhaps you're looking to shed a few pounds?  It's easy, just take this little pill... it's called reality ;-)
Let's face it, we all want to be healthy, feel good and have a body we are happy with.  However, in our society with so many "food" choices at our fingertips in unimaginable quantities it can be difficult to achieve this goal.  Every day a new product comes out claiming to be natural, low in fat, high in fiber, carb free or organic.  The news is constantly changing claiming one food to be a superfood only to denounce it some time later.  So, what are we supposed to eat???  This answer is so easy that many will dismiss it... food.  By food I mean whole, unprocessed and in its natural state food.  Food without ingredients.
Our bodies were not designed to eat "food" that was created in a lab.  Artificial colors, sweeteners, flavors even preservatives can have serious negative effects on your body.  Google this, I dare you... It is absolutely scary what goes into your ready made "foods."  I challenge you to go to your cabinet, pull out a box, can or jar of whatever and read the ingredients.  More than likely something will be listed that you can't easily pronounce.  Almost always something artificial will be listed such as colors, sweeteners, flavors or preservatives.  The FDA does not currently require companies to list these chemicals if they are "generally considered safe" but there is no doubt you would be shocked if you realized what you were eating.
The sad fact is that processed foods (packaged, prepared, canned, frozen, jarred, refrigerated) are just so much more convenient.  Making spaghetti sauce from scratch requires much more preparation and clean up than simply opening a jar.  Is it worth it?  For me it is.  There's no doubt I chop, mix, grind, sautee, measure and bake more than most people.  I wash a lot more dishes, too.  Cooking from scratch isn't usually difficult, but it does take time and a little planning. I like knowing that I am taking care of my body as well as my family.  I feel good knowing what I am eating.  Do you?
With this said, I do use some processed foods- a fraction of what most people use, but nonetheless processed.  When I'm in a pinch I will reach for canned beans, jarred baby food, or even a box of mac and cheese.  However, I do not buy foods with any ingredients I don't recognize as food.  I am extremely picky about products I buy.  Processed foods without manufactured ingredients do exist.  Finding them just requires a little label reading is all.  There are a few companies I generally trust like Bob's Red Mill or Amy's Organics, but I always read the labels of any new products that I buy.  I highly recommend you do the same. 

Eating whole foods does not have to be difficult or time consuming. It's my goal over the next few months to offer delicious and easy whole food ideas from snacks to meals to deserts.  Join me in making the world healthier one bite at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment