Monday, June 21, 2010

A Brazilian staple- vinegarette

I received a question recently about that tomato and onion stuff that looks like salsa and is on every Brazilian salad bar.  For those of you who don't know, it's referred to as vinegarette- no, not the salad dressing.  It's a flavorful combination of diced tomato, onion, parsley and vinagar.  Often it also contains green onion, garlic and/or lime juice.  Different vinegars can be used, but most common are white (claro) and red wine.  I have never measured anything when I've prepared this, but I will give rough approximations.

dice 1 medium onion and 2-3 medium sized tomatoes (I like to squeeze the seeds out of my tomatoes first)
add 1/2 bunch of parsley finely chopped
I like to add in 2-3 sliced green onions (cebolinha) and sometimes minced garlic*
To this squeeze in a few tablespoons of vinegar (generally clear is used, but wine vinegar is nice, too)
I also like to squeeze in the juice of a lime as well
Stir this all around and let it sit for a few minutes before tasting
you might need to add some more vinegar, salt or pepper.

If anyone reading this does have an actual recipe with the correct proportions, please post in the comment section.

*In Brazilian supermarkets, parsley (salsa in Portuguese) and green onion (cebolinha) are almost always sold together in bunches for this very purpose.

For my N.American buddies, this is served at parties that I have been to in a large bowl.  People often scoop it onto fresh sliced french bread or use it as a salad dressing.  Give it a try, it's delicious!

Happy chopping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment