Friday, June 18, 2010

Have you tried lentils lately???

If you haven't given lentils a try recently, might I suggest you do?  I always have them on hand and use them often.  What's a lentil some of you may ask?  It's a type of quick cooking legume (kinda like a bean) that is packed with protein and fiber.  It's got a mild taste, so you can use it in a huge variety of recipes.  Lentils are a main staple in the Indian diet and for good reason. I've inbedded a link to tell you all about lentils if you'd like to know more.  Just click on today's post title.  On to the recipe...

I like to cook a large batch of lentils a keep them in my fridge to use in a few different recipes.  This includes my absolute favorite lentil walnut burgers.  But today I'll tell you about a salad that I recently came up with.  I've served it twice in the last 2 weeks and it has been a big hit! 

First of all cook up some lentils (1 cup easily serves 2 people.  Make more as desired).  Pour desired amount into a saucepan, cover with water (about 2-3 fingers) and bring to a boil.  Turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until soft.  Drain and set aside.  DON'T add salt before cooking as it will make the lentils tough.

Now this is the artistic part... you can create this salad however you wish.  Use whatever salad veggies you have on hand.  In my frigde I almost always have a variety veggies.  I buy them twice per week then wash, dice and store in sealed conatiners.  That way they're always ready to throw into a salad or recipe.  Some of my favorites include: bell peppers (red and orange are the healthiest), green onion, grape tomatoes, cucumber, steamed broccoli, zuchinni and shredded carrot.

For this salad, I've found that shredded carrot, green onion, halved grape tomatoes and diced peppers are really great.  Mix these into your prepared lentils in whatever proprtions you like best.  Then add chopped parsley (and basil if you have it).  I use a lot of pasrsley.  For a salad that would serve 4 I would probably use a full cup.  If you've ever tried tabouleh, it's along the same lines.  It adds a fresh and springy element and balances the earthiness of the lentils perfectly.

Now for the secrect of this recipe... toasted walnuts!  I cannot tell you enough how delicious these make the salad.  Just toast a cup or two of walnuts for a few minutes in a warn pan or oven.  They should be fragrant but NOT burnt.  It only takes 3-5 mins in a 300F oven. 

Once you have all ingredients combined and tossed, top with a few tablespoons of olive oil and some fresh lime or lemon juice.  Once again, how much is up to you.  Add a little at a time and keep sampling until you are satisfied with the flavor.  The same is true for salt and pepper.  This is your creation, so feel free to take liberites with it. 

If you try some other variations, I'd love to hear them.  Until then, happy experimenting!

2 comments:

  1. You KNOW I love it! Thanks again for sharing! Sadly, even though I saw with my own eyes what all was in it, I still needed the recipe! Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it :-) Try this as well with quinoa, couscous or burglur wheat.

    ReplyDelete