Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Holy Moly Guacamole :-)

Avocados are in season here in South America, and let's face it, you can get anything "anythyme" :-) you want it in the States.  Needless to say I've been gorging myself on guacamole recently.  For those of you who still avoid guac due to the fat content, I'd personally say there are much better things to cut from the diet. Avocados are loaded with oleic acid, folate and potassium- not to mention deliciousness.  The other veggies in guacamole make it a full blown superfood in my opinion.

With this said, if you are loading it onto greasy tortilla chips or other fatty food, you may want to seriously limit the portions...  I like to eat it on sandwiches, wraps, any type of Tex-Mex, even spread on fresh bread.  You put guac on it, and it's good to go! 

On to the recipe (or my close approximation of one).  Keep in mind that you can adjust measurements, substitute and omit ingredients as you please.  You're a food artist so don't be afraid to be creative and experiment...

First I take 2 ripe avocados and slice them in half lengthwise.  This way I can remove the pit and skin easily, lay them flat (cut side down) and dice. I throw this into a sealable bowl for easy storage.
Next I add about 2T of whatever onion (also diced) I have on hand that day.  Red is my favorite, but any onion will do.
Then I add one small diced tomato. Again any type will do.  I would guess it should come to about 1/3c.
Now it's time for the garlic!  I like to add at least one minced clove.  Sometimes I use dehydrated garlic if I'm feeling lazy (I LOVE Tastefully Simple's Garlic Garlic seasoning!)
Then I add about 1t ground cumin and the juice of 1 lime and some salt and pepper.
I love to add lots of freshly chopped cilantro (at least 2T), but you can do this to taste.

At this point I mash everything together and give it a taste.  Often I find I need to add more cumin, lime or salt.  Sample and see what you need.

Hope you enjoy.  Happy dipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment