Saturday, June 19, 2010

Healthy snack suggestions?

I recieved a question recently about more healthy snack ideas.  I think this is something that we could all use.  I tend to snack a lot on fruit, nuts and low-fat/fat-free dairy.  I also go through phases in my snacking.  For a few weeks I can't get enough apples and peanut butter.  Then I'll switch to mangoes and cottage cheese fo a while.  Today I had a pear with a small piece of sharp cheddar (I love this flavor combination). Later in the day (about 30 mins ago) I had a piece of whole grain toast slathered thickly with natural chunky peanut butter.  This was hearty and satisfying.

I also go through veggie snack phases.  I've mentioned in earlier posts how I usually keep a variety of cut up veggies in my fridge.  (bell pepper, cucumber, grape tomatoes and carrots are almost always washed, sliced and ready to eat).  I love to dip them in hummus, ranch dressing or a yogurt dip I make. 

Some staples that I usually have on hand for snacking include: walnuts, almonds, peanut butter, apples, banana, LF or FF cottage cheese, yogurt, dried fruit and granola bars.  Sometimes, time permitting, I make whole grain or bran muffins.

If you're trying to watch your weight, you might shy away from nuts.  However, I would recommend the opposite.  Yes, nuts are higher in fat than other snacks, but the fats are the good ones (including omega 3s).  They are also one of the best plant sources of protein, fiber and vitamin E.  Research has shown great health benefits in those who eat nuts regularly.  The trick is not to eat too many.  One handful of walnuts or almonds (the 2 nutritional powerhouses) can tide me over for at least an hour.  So try reaching for these when hunger strikes.

Note on granola bars:  I am Very particular about the granola bars I buy.  I aviod like the plague anything with high fructose corn syrup.  Look for all natural bars that only have ingredients you are familiar with and can pronounce.  Keep in mind most aren't really that healthy and are more similar to candybars when it comes to sugar conent.  Really the only reason I buy them is to keep in my purse or diaper bag when I'm on the run.  I try not to let myself get too hungry because when this happens I get desperate and eat junk.  That's when a granola bar come in handy.  Recently I discovered the joys of individual trail mix pouches.  I like those even better than granola bars.  Just make sure that you don't reach for ones with sugar or other additives.

If you have some healthy snacks that you enjoy, I'd love to hear them.  Please post in the comments section.  Until then, happy snacking!

1 comment:

  1. An idea from my friend, Amy...
    i saw your recipe on there asking about healthy snacks and there is one dip i used to LOVE to make but haven't made in SP because i don't have a microwave (although i am sure i could make it in the oven, just being lazy about it). it is basically a healthy take on that that sinful spinach dip that they serve at places like outback steakhouse, etc.... i really cannot remember where i heard about it, so just FYI that i might have read it in a cookbook or something like that if that could be a problem with putting it on your website (are you allowed to be insprired by others recipes?).

    mix regular, lowfat or fat free plain yogurt, finely chopped garlic, chopped fresh basil, chopped artichoke hearts, and grated parmesan (fresh is of course better!) and then microwave it for 1-2 minutes and it is a delish dip! since the yogurt here is typically runny it might be best to strain some of it first with a cheesecloth so you get a thicker result.

    ReplyDelete