Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A weeknight go to- Quesadillas

Hot tortilla with melted cheese?  Yes, please!  I mean, how can you not love quesadillas?  And they are so versatile.  You can use a huge variety of ingredients and vary the flavors greatly.  Most people just think of quesadillas as two tortillas with some melted cheese in between.  Perhaps a little meat might be tossed in there (certainly not in mine, though).  But in our household quesadillas can be loaded with a variety of ingredients.  I try not to waste any food, so I am often creative with ingredients that I have on hand.  For instance, tonight I sauteed my typical onion, pepper, zucchini and garlic mix to use as the filling.  But a few nights ago I only had onion and tomato to work with.  This doesn't sound like much, but with a little fresh cilantro thrown in there they were amazing.  Some other ideas...

Pears with cheddar and caramelized onion (or apple would work well)
Black beans, sweet corn and grape tomato
sauteed zucchini and summer squash
Fresh garden herbs (cilantro, green onion, chive, parsley)

And don't be afraid to switch up the cheeses.  Cheddar is great, but try a wide variety.  Fontina is one of my faves.   And don't forget to top with lots of guacamole!

If you have other variations, I'd love to hear about them.

Happy munching!

No comments:

Post a Comment