Thursday, June 24, 2010

Whole grain blueberry lemon muffins

If you ask me, blueberries and lemon go together like peanut butter and jelly (another of my favorite treats).  This muffin recipe is not only healthy, but they're moist and mouth-watering delicious.  I adapted this recipe from one that I found on the Joy of Baking webstie.  It is a very loose adaptation, but if you want to see the original, just click on the title of today's post.

I started by whisking together my dry ingredients:
1 1/2 c whole grain flour (I use a mix of wheat, oat, quinoa and flax)
1 c white flour
1/4 c flax meal (ground flax seed)
1/2 c white sugar (add more for sweeter muffins)
2t baking powder (I only use aluminum free)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

In a large pyrex measuring cup I whisked the following together

1 container (100 ml) of Fat free yogurt
1/4 c milk
2/3 c canola oil
1 egg
1t vanilla
the juice and zest of 1 large lemon (I used  small)

I added the wet ingredients to the dry and stired until just combined.  Then I folded in about 2 cups of blueberries (I used thawed out frozen ones, but fresh are awesome).

I greased a 12 muffin pan and evenly distributed the batter.  I baked for about 22 or 23 mins on 375F.  I removed from the oven and cooled on a wire rack whereupon I are two straight away.  OMG, they were amazing! 

Tip:  They freeze well, and it's a great way to keep them fresh.  I usually keep a few out on the counter in a sealed container at a time and remove more from the freezer as needed.

I hope you and your family find these as tasty as I did.  As always, I'd love to hear your feedback, thoughts, and any modifications that you come up with.

Happy baking!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know baking powder contained aluminium. These look delicious and we can get the ingredients here in Brazil. I think they have blueberries in Pao de Asucar. Thanks for all your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a TON of the baking powder here. I accidentally ordered a case and cannot use it all before it expires. I'll send some your way. Also, you can substitute soy milk for the dairy products if you'd like. However, I'd reduce the amount of sugar in the batter as soy milk here is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete